06 Oct 2 Day DBT Intensive Live Webinar Training on Zoom
2-day Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
Informed Intensive Live Webinar Training – through Zoom
Megan Shiell is passionate about the way Dialectical Behaviour Therapy can assist sufferers of emotional dysregulation. Over the past 9 year she has trained many allied health professionals in the use of DBT and also in the use of DBT alongside an experiential therapy Art Therapy. Megan has presented both in Australia and Internationally on the subject of DBT and its uses in mental health arenas and has published her work in DBT and Art Therapy in ANZATA 2008. Megan conducts intensive DBT training programs for other allied health professionals who are interested in using DBT in their working environments.
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) was developed by Prof. Marsha Linehan, Ph.D.,at the University of Washington in the late 1970’s. She added acceptance, dialectics and validation strategies to cognitive-behavioural treatment for patients diagnosed with borderline personality disorder (BPD) who often presented with chronic patterns of suicidal or other severe dysfunctional behaviours and named the therapy Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).In 2015 Prof. Linehan has updated research to show DBT is also effective in many client settings and for many people suffering emotional dysregulation including its usefulness for Adolescents. It is not unusual for individuals diagnosed with BPD to also struggle with other problems – depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, eating disorders, or alcohol and drug problems. It’s important to note that DBT is an “empirically-supported treatment” for BPD sufferers. DBT skills are extremely useful for people in assisting in the management of impulsive behaviours, mood changes, emotional dysregulation, anxiety, depression and urges to use substances, food, gambling etc. to avoid or get rid of uncomfortable or intense emotions. DBT gives patients concrete skills and strategies to manage disruptive emotional experiences.
This 2 day Intensive “Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Training” is designed to assist practitioners gain knowledge of how to work with DBT and how to work as individual therapists using DBT. Training can be tailored to specific region’s needs and information on how to set up a DBT program including Therapists Consult groups is also detailed.
- gain knowledge of the philosophy of DBT, the structure of the therapy and statistical information on the researched model.
- gain knowledge of how to teach ‘crisis survival’ techniques and address suicide ideation, self-harm and impulsive destructive behaviours of patients
- gain knowledge in how to work dialectically using validation and acceptance strategies with patients
- gain knowledge in how to look after oneself as a clinician and gain supportive supervision within the DBT frame to help assist in working with patients who present with high levels of emotional dysfunction
- gain knowledge of all four skills of DBT, Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotional Regulation and Interpersonal Effectives, including the addition of new skills added in 2nd Edition DBT Training Manual 2015 (Prof Marsha Linehan).
- gain knowledge in how to teach a skills training group.
- gain knowledge in working with many client groups that experience emotional dysregulation and working with DBT with adolescents
$440 full rate (GST included).
If paying from New Zealand the Swift Code is NATAAU 3303M
2 DAY INTENSIVE LIVE WEBINAR TRAINING